SHOOTING FOR SHARSHERET
When: April 17th
Where: MS54 Gym
Time: 4:30 – 6:00PM
On the 21st of April I am becoming a Bat Mitzvah. Part of my journey includes a mitzvah project where I would like to do something meaningful to me. Now, both of my grandmothers had breast cancer, sadly one of them has passed because of it, but I am forever grateful that my other grandmother is a strong survivor. I would like to make a difference in the world and start by raising money for and awareness of breast cancer. I have chosen to partner with Sharsheret, a national non-profit organization supporting Jewish women and their families facing breast cancer.
Sharsheret is the Hebrew word for ‘chain,’ I chose to support Sharsheret because they had a very meaningful story about the organization’s founder, Rochelle Shoretz. While struggling with breast cancer, Rochelle created Sharsheret to help women like herself “find strength to face their fears, resources to address their questions, and ‘sisters’ with whom to share in their cancer journey in ways that transcend blood ties.” Sadly, three years ago Rochelle passed away while battling breast cancer. While we looked at other organizations to support, I really connected with Sharsheret and encourage you all to read Rochelle’s story.
To help support our efforts, I am asking everyone on the Monarchs to take part in a shooting contest at MS54’s gym. I promise it will be fun – of course we’ll feed you! There will be gifts for everyone and special prizes for the best shooters. Below is the format for the event and how your participation and made shots will make a difference for so many women.
The 2017-18 Monarchs will be split into two teams of evenly skilled players who will participate in two contests. Each player commits to donating the below amounts to every made shot:
- Each team will have 20 minutes to make as many free throws as possible
- All made free throws by each team will be worth $2 each
- The player who makes the most free throws will win two movie tickets and a $15 gift certificate for snacks
- Each team will have 20 minutes to make as many 3 point shots as possible
- All made 3-pointers will be worth $3 each
- The player who makes the most 3-point shots will win two movie tickets and a $15 gift certificate for snacks
Finale – Half Court
- This will be an individual competition where every girl will get 5 attempts to make a half-court shot
- Andrea and John will donate $10 for every made shot
- The player who makes the most half court shots will win two movie tickets and a $15 gift certificate for snacks
- Should there be a tie amongst more than one player for any of the three contests, John and Wilson will determine which player shall be the outright winner
- Everyone will be invited to V&T’s for pizza after the game where we will announce the winners and provide gifts for everyone.
Lastly, I encourage you to have your family and friends match your contributions. Say, for every shot you make, they will donate a dollar.
Thank you for being part of this special event and I look forward to working with you!