Finances and Insurance
Financial Wellness Resources
Are you struggling with managing your finances while living with a serious illness? Learn how to address your concerns and better navigate the complicated health care and financial systems with critical information and resources shared by experts at Sharsheret’s “Taking Control of Your Financial Health During and After a Health Crisis” Roundtable Discussion.
FINANCIAL WELLNESS TIPS
FINANCIAL SUBSIDIES AVAILABLE THROUGH SHARSHERET
UNDERSTANDING ACCESS BARRIERS FOR FINANCIAL WELLNESS
Access barriers are any obstacles that prevent you from being able to access or receive the recommended level of care or treatment protocol.
Common health care access barriers include the high cost of care, inadequate or no insurance coverage, denials/appeals, and lack of availability of services.
Read here for more information about how access barriers can affect you, and what you can do to improve your access to care:
BLOGS AND TRANSCRIPTS
Genetic Counseling and Testing: The Insurance Dilemma
Ask the Expert: Appealing a Health Insurance Claim Denial
Ask the Expert: Keeping Health Insurance after Terminating Employment
Benefitting from Benefits
From Insurance Claims Denials to Smiles, Payment, and Feeling Empowered
Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery- Especially When it comes to Expensive Medications
IVF to Prevent Passing on BRCA – The Other Side of the Story
Navigating Insurance: Hot Topics During Cancer
Can We Talk? Tips for Communicating with Your Health Care Team
Taking Control of Your Financial Health During and After a Health Crisis – Live Roundtable Discussion: Transcript For a Video, Click here.
What is an Appeal?
SHARSHERET INSURANCE ADVOCACY CARELINE
Tips from the Women of Sharsheret
- Try to connect with a case manager who has experience with your insurance. Oftentimes, through Medicaid/Medicare there are covered case managers who can help you navigate the system.
- Always have a pen and paper handy to take notes when you call your insurance. Get names and reference numbers, be as specific as possible with your questions.
- Your doctors are more equipped to argue medical necessity than you are as the patient. If your insurance is giving you a hard time covering a test/procedure ask your doctor for help!
- Oftentimes hospitals have a department that specifically deal with insurance issues. If you are having difficulty having a procedure covered, reach out to your hospital and ask them for help.
- Call your insurance company and find out which procedures will need prior authorization. If a test or scan does, make sure your doctor gets it prior to you going for the test/scan.
- Advocate for yourself. Don’t take no for an answer and always make sure you get what your doctor thinks is necessary.
- Know your rights related to breast reconstruction. To learn more about the Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act click here.
Access to Care in Cancer – Cancer Support Community
Appealing Insurance Claim Denials- Livestrong
Eliminating 5 barriers to cancer care
Health Insurance Appeals – Triage Cancer
Options When an Insurance Company Says No – Triage Cancer
Quick Guide to Appeals for Employer-Sponsored & Individual Health Insurance