Sharsheret and Women’s League for Conservative Judaism Partner Nationally to Enrich the Lives of Women
Contact: Jordana Altman, Marketing and Communications Manager
Email: [email protected]
Teaneck, New Jersey (February 8, 2017) – Sharsheret, the only national not-for-profit organization dedicated to addressing the needs of Jewish women and families, of all backgrounds, facing breast and ovarian cancer, and the Women’s League for Conservative Judaism (WLCJ), the national organization of Conservative sisterhoods and synagogue women’s groups, are proud to announce its new national partnership that will help enrich the lives of women.
“It is critical for Jewish women to work together to educate and empower one another,” said Sharsheret’s Director of National Outreach Melissa K. Rosen. “Sharsheret and Women’s League are both committed to supporting women and through our partnership, we will spread awareness about genetic predisposition and breast and ovarian cancer to Jewish communities across North America in a variety of ways.”
Collaborating on a nationwide Women’s League/Sharsheret Pink Shabbat® to educate local communities, involving members of Women’s League in breast cancer awareness walks throughout the country, and Sharsheret’s involvement in Women’s League’s upcoming convention are important ways both organizations will collaborate to enrich the lives of Jewish women.
“We wholeheartedly believe in Sharsheret’s mission to offer a community of support to women, of all Jewish backgrounds, diagnosed with breast or ovarian cancer or at increased genetic risk,” said Women’s League President Carol Simon,. “We’re incredibly excited about our partnership and are really looking forward to all of the ways we can get involved in helping Sharsheret spread its mission.”
For more information about how to partner with Sharsheret, contact Director of National Outreach, Melissa K. Rosen, at 866.474.2774 or [email protected].
To get involved with Women’s League for Conservative Judaism, contact Carol Simon, President, at 212.870.2155 or [email protected].
Sharsheret, Hebrew for chain, is the only national organization supporting Jewish women and families, of all backgrounds, facing breast and ovarian cancer-those who are diagnosed and those at high risk. Sharsheret is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has earned a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency. To date, we serve more than 65,000 women, families, health care professionals, community leaders, and students from all 50 states. All Sharsheret programs serve all women and men.
As a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Breast Cancer in Young Women, Sharsheret shapes messaging and programs at the national level. Recognizing Sharsheret as the model for culturally-relevant breast cancer support, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has awarded the organization two multi-year grants to develop support programs. Additionally, Sharsheret participates in psychosocial research studies and evaluations in partnership with federal agencies and major cancer centers, including Georgetown Lombardi Cancer Center.
Sharsheret offers the following national programs:
The Link Program
• Peer Support Network, connecting women newly diagnosed or at high risk of developing breast cancer one-on-one with others who share similar diagnoses and experiences
• EmbraceTM, supporting women living with advanced breast cancer
• Genetics for Life®, addressing hereditary breast and ovarian cancer
• Thriving Again®, providing individualized support, education, and survivorship plans for young breast cancer survivors
• Busy Box®, for young parents facing breast cancer
• Best Face Forward®, addressing the cosmetic side effects of treatment
• Family Focus®, providing resources and support for caregivers and family members
• Ovarian Cancer Program, tailored resources and support for young Jewish women and families facing ovarian cancer
• Sharsheret SupportsTM, developing local support groups and programs
Education and Outreach Programs
• Health Care Symposia, on issues unique to younger women facing breast cancer
• Sharsheret on Campus, outreach and education to students on campus
• Sharsheret Educational Resource Booklet Series, culturally-relevant publications for Jewish women and their families and healthcare professionals
ABOUT WOMEN’S LEAGUE FOR CONSERVATIVE JUDAISM
Women’s League for Conservative Judaism supports its network of 40,000 members and 500 synagogue women’s groups across North America through:
• Innovative programming materials designed to educate and activate members of every age
• Customized Consulting Services to help every sisterhood be the best it can be
• Regional networking opportunities with like-minded women
• Leadership development to ensure an exciting tomorrow
• Women’s League is the voice of the women of the Conservative Movement, representing its membership at a wide array of national, international, religious, and social action organizations.
You can be part of this dynamic organization by joining a sisterhood in a synagogue near you or by joining as an individual member.