Team Sharsheret At The Susan G. Komen NYC Race For The Cure
Contact: Jordana Altman, Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Email: [email protected]
Teaneck, New Jersey (September 5, 2017) – Sharsheret, the only national not-for-profit organization dedicated to addressing the needs of Jewish women and families, of all backgrounds, facing breast and ovarian cancer, is proud to participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure breast cancer walk/run on Sunday, September 10, 2017, in New York City. Registration for the first 200 participants with Team Sharsheret is free ($45 per person savings).
Sharsheret will join thousands of women and men gathering in Central Park to participate in the race. Hundreds of Sharsheret volunteers, friends, and family members will come together to form Team Sharsheret for this breast cancer fundraising and awareness family-friendly race.
Team Sharsheret will meet at the North East Corner of 74th Street and Central Park West, with the group picture at 8:30am. Sharsheret will be broadcasting the kickoff from their Facebook page via Facebook Live.
“Sharsheret continues to grow because of the dedication and commitment of so many strong supporters, both locally and nationally,” said Team Captain Sarah Eagle. “This year, we are especially grateful to our Team Underwriters, Bernstein Liebhard LLP and Tesaro, Inc., and the many other pharmaceutical, corporate and family sponsors who support us year after year. We deeply appreciate all the Team members – women, men, young professionals, college and high school students – and Team sponsors who come out in full force to walk with Team Sharsheret and enable us to provide vital support to all Jewish women and families facing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.”
To make a donation to Team Sharsheret, click here. To register and order your t-shirts, please visit www.sharsheret.org/walknyc. For questions or for more information, please contact Sarah Eagle at [email protected].
This year’s proud sponsors include:
Bernstein Liebhard LLP
Bergen Plastic Surgery
Geller & Company
The Frisch School
Lisa Altman Foundation
NY Brat Factory
Women’s Digital Imaging
Fran Wilson Instant Brows
Joseph Jacobs Advertising
Ma’ayanot Yeshiva High School For Girls
The Moriah School
Pediatric Occupational Therapy Services
The Rocking Chair
Torah Academy of Bergen County
Garden State Jewelers
Sharsheret, Hebrew for chain, is the only national organization supporting Jewish women and families, of all backgrounds, facing breast and ovarian cancer-those who are diagnosed and those at high risk. Sharsheret is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has earned a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency. To date, we serve more than 67,000 women, families, health care professionals, community leaders, and students from all 50 states. All Sharsheret programs serve all women and men.
As a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Breast Cancer in Young Women, Sharsheret shapes messaging and programs at the national level. Recognizing Sharsheret as the model for culturally-relevant breast cancer support, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has awarded the organization two multi-year grants to develop support programs. Additionally, Sharsheret participates in psychosocial research studies and evaluations in partnership with federal agencies and major cancer centers, including Georgetown Lombardi Cancer Center.
Sharsheret offers the following national programs:
The Link Program
- Peer Support Network, connecting women newly diagnosed or at high risk of developing breast cancer one-on-one with others who share similar diagnoses and experiences
- EmbraceTM, supporting women living with advanced breast cancer
- Genetics for Life®, addressing hereditary breast and ovarian cancer
- Thriving Again®, providing individualized support, education, and survivorship plans for young breast cancer survivors
- Busy Box®, for young parents facing breast cancer
- Best Face Forward®, addressing the cosmetic side effects of treatment
- Family Focus®, providing resources and support for caregivers and family members
- Ovarian Cancer Program, tailored resources and support for young Jewish women and families facing ovarian cancer
- Sharsheret SupportsTM, developing local support groups and programs
Education and Outreach Programs
- Health Care Symposia, on issues unique to younger women facing breast cancer
- Sharsheret on Campus, outreach and education to students on campus
- Sharsheret Educational Resource Booklet Series, culturally-relevant publications for Jewish women and their families and healthcare professionals